Laboratory Medical Immunology (LMI)
Being an academic diagnostic laboratory, the Laboratory of Medical Immunology (LMI) has three main tasks, which are clearly connected and interwoven:
The LMI strives to excel in all three main tasks, through:
- performing high quality diagnostics, including state-of-the-art technology/ tests, as well as consulting and advising clinicians ordering lab tests
- actively initiating diagnostic innovation and cutting edge translational research, related to the different areas in the field of medical immunology
- organizing a broad spectrum of educational activities in the field of medical immunology and immunology in general
The LMI strives to excel in all three main tasks, through performing high quality diagnostics, including state-of-the-art technology / tests, as well as consulting and advising clinicians ordering lab tests actively initiating diagnostic innovation and cutting edge translational research, related to the different areas in the field of medical immunology organizing a broad spectrum of educational activities in the field of medical immunology and immunology in general.
The LMI has over the years obtained a clear and strong position within Erasmus MC as a partner for clinicians ordering laboratory tests for immunological and malignant hematological diseases. In 2016 a total of more than 55,000 tests (in about 21.000 patients) were performed; Furthermore, the LMI performs a large number of tests for external laboratories; roughly 40% of the total number of laboratory requests is from outside the Erasmus MC. This strong connection to external clients (clinicians, laboratories) directly follows from the role of the LMI as national and international reference laboratory for several laboratory tests. This is the direct consequence of continuous innovation of diagnostics, in which the LMI has a leading national and international position.
The total LMI consists of ~60 persons. The LMI management is formed by the following consultants / laboratory specialists medical immunology:
- A.W. (Ton) Langerak, PhD, coördinator LMI
- R.A. (Rik) Brooimans, PhD
- W.A. (Wim) Dik, PhD
- M.W.J. (Marco) Schreurs, PhD
- V.H.J. (Vincent) van der Velden, PhD
Vision and mission
The LMI focuses on the development and application of immunological insights and methodologies for patient-oriented laboratory analysis in the field of medical immunology.
The LMI has the following aims:
- performing high quality diagnostic patient care;
- actively innovating diagnostics plus implementing state-of-the-art methodologies;
- acting as a national and international reference center for specific diagnostic tests;
- offering financially competitive diagnostic tests;
- promoting diagnostic effectiveness through advise on requests for laboratory tests;
- promoting interdisciplinary collaborations;
- performing leading translational research.